Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Best Birthday Gift Ever...

Chad and Elder Header putting up the shelf... and paying homage to Hitler...?
Chad putting away the goods...

Birthdays have always been a time of joy and excitement for me. Although my birthday is still 5 months away, I have never been more excited to celebrate... That's right- mom and dad gave us a food storage "Shelf-Reliance" shelf for our birthdays (Chad's birthday is in a week and a half). The Shelf-Reliance system is AWESOME. It stores hundreds of cans and works like the soup cans in the grocery store which rotate themselves once you take the first can out so the oldest can is always the one you use first. Brilliant I tell you!
Chad and I were so excited while we put together our beloved Shelf-Reliance until the thought occurred to us that we were gushing over a food storage aide... were we really that OLD to be excited over something so practical? The sad truth is, "Yes." It is funny how priorities change over the years. There was once a day when the typical things that I got really excited about were pretty hair clips or new shoes. Today however, it is the everyday practical stuff that I never had interest in before that really gets my heart beating. Last week I almost wet my pants when I learned that JoAnne's fabric was have a huge sale on thread.... I guess it is a sad but almost inevitable truth that at some point you have to grow up a little bit and desire things you actually need... I'm just worried because I'm only in my mid-twenties... what is the rest of my life going to be like?


5 comments:

The Daybell Family said...

So, I guess for your birthday we should send you some canned food?

love,

Paul and Alison

P.S. anything else you actually want for your Birthday?

Unknown said...

Hello! I was just informed of your blog and would LOVE to send you a Cansolidator on top of the Harvest you received. I work for Shelf Reliance and we're always looking for people like you who can appreciate our products and benefit from food storage! If you are interested in receiving a Cansolidator, please send your address to shannon@shelfreliance.com.

Julie in the studio said...

That is a good question, Mrs. Mid-twenties. I know what to write in your Christmas card now. May your season be bright and your future full of thread.

Cristi said...

Happy Birthday to you! You guys are so funny!

Anonymous said...

I have a cansolidator and love it lots. I too get excited about my pantry. I fear selling this house for that very reason. Will I ever get a pantry as awesome as the one I have. I'm old though so it is expected of me to get excited about things like that and maybe peeing my pants too :)
love mar